How are the snacking habits of Americans going to change the restaurant industry?
There were some interesting findings in the Nielsen Global Survey of Snacking including-
- 91% of consumers polled say they snack at least once a day.
- The global snacking industry accounts for $374 billion, which increases about 2% annually.
- 45% of the participants said they use snacks as meal replacements.
- 43% of the participants replace lunch with a snack.
- Chips were the most popular snack, followed by chocolate, and then cheese snacks .
Could this be a reason why small plate menus as so popular at restaurants? Is a snack really a sufficient meal? Will restaurants see a decline in traffic? Or does this just mean that diners will be hungrier when they arrive for dinner, after just snacking for lunch? Read More