- 8 ounces butter, room temperature
- 15 1/2 ounces sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt, plus as needed
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups Idaho® potato chips, crushed
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 3 1/2 ounces corn syrup
- Powdered sugar as needed
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Cream butter and 3 1/2 ounces sugar, then add pinch of salt, vanilla and 2 cups potato chips and mix until combined. Wrap dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate until firm (about 1 hour).
- Scoop dough into desired size and roll into a ball. Place on a parchment paper-lined sheet pan, leaving a 2-inch space between each cookie. Press thumb in center of ball, creating a thumbprint. Bake until cookies are golden brown (about 8 to 10 minutes). Reserve to cool.
- To make caramel, pour 6 ounces sugar, corn syrup and 1 tsp salt in a heavy-duty saucepot and cook until medium amber in color. Meanwhile, heat cream to warm. When sugar is medium amber in color, return to a boil before mixing in remaining sugar. Add warm cream in small batches, reducing after each addition. Remove pot from heat and reserve to cool before adding to cookies.
- To assemble, put a dollop of caramel in center of each cookie. Refrigerate to cool and set caramel. Sprinkle remainder of crushed chips on top of caramel, and dust lightly with powdered sugar.