- 2 Idaho® potatoes, peeled
- Grapeseed oil or canola oil for deep-frying
- 3 cups corn flakes
- 1 1/2 cups panko bread crumbs
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt, plus more to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 large eggs
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Cut potatoes into sticks 1/2-inch thick and 4 inches long, dropping them into a bowl of cold water as you work to prevent them from discoloring.
- Pour 3 inches of oil into a deep-fryer or deep heavy pot and heat over medium-high heat to 350°F. Meanwhile, drain potatoes and pat thoroughly dry with paper towels.
- Add potatoes, in batches if necessary, to hot oil and fry, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes, or until they start to turn golden brown. With tongs or a slotted spoon, transfer potatoes to paper towels to drain. Carefully set pot of oil aside.
- Transfer potatoes to a baking sheet, spreading them out in a single layer, and place in freezer for about 1 hour, or until they are partially frozen.
- Combine corn flakes and panko in a blender or a food processor and process until fine. Transfer to a shallow bowl.
- Combine flour, salt, and cayenne in a second shallow bowl. In a third bowl, lightly beat the eggs. Roll semi-frozen potato sticks in flour, dip in eggs, letting excess drip off, and roll them in the corn flake mixture. Repeat process a second time, and place potatoes in a single layer on a large plate.
- Heat oil over medium-high heat to 375ºF. Fry potatoes, a handful at a time, until golden brown. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels. Be sure to allow the oil to reheat between batches. Sprinkle potatoes with salt and pepper and serve immediately.